Mussels with Chorizo and Cream
Turn up the heat with this Spanish inspired sea-food dish! Serve this fiery, yet easy dish as a mains or starter using fresh or frozen mussels, clams or shrimp.
- 1 paella pan or wok
- 1.5 kg fresh mussels (cleaned) 1kg clams or 500gr frozen mussels
- 100 gr chorizo cubed
- 1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot diced
- 3-4 garlic gloves
- 200 ml white wine
- 400 ml vegetable, chicken or seafood stock
- 2 tbps unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 100 ml cream
- 1 tsp chilli flakes or fresh chilli (option for extra hot)
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- salt & freshly ground pepper for seasoning
- clean fresh mussels or clams well under cold water, discard any open or broken ones.
- if using frozen seafood, defrost according to instructions in a colander and rinse well
- add the olive oil to a large pan or paella pan, add the shallots and fry for 2-3 minutes until translucent
- add the chorizo and fry until the oil turns to a rich orange and the fat has cooked out of the chorizo.
- add the garlic and the the butter. cook garlic for max 30 seconds - 1minute to prevent it from burning
- deglaze with white wine and cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the stock, cream and lemon, if using.
- reduce the liquid for a few minutes then add the mussels (or other sea-food. Add a lid to the pan (optional). Cook until the mussels (clams) have opened. if using defrosted seafood, bring liquid back to boil once the sea-food is added, and cook for 3-4 minutes. If using shrimp, cook until the shrimp have turned pink.
- combine Mussels and clams
- Omit the chorizo for a less spicy dish
- rosemary instead for a rich aromatic flavour.
- serve as a main or starter dish
- serve with fresh crusty bread for mopping up the sauce (It's the best bit!)