Raspberry & Orange Babka
Star shaped festive bread, perfect for sharing with friends and family
- baking tray, baking paper
- 2.5 inch/7cm diameter water glass
- knife or pastry cutter
- pastry brush
- 1 cube fresh yeast or 1 packet (7gr) dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup warm dairy or almond milk
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 125 gr butter (soft)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 cups strong white flour
- 3/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter (melted) for brushing
- 3 tsp icing sugar
- Using a small bowl, crumble fresh yeast in warm water and stir. Let sit until foamy. If using dry yeast, dissolve in warm water and add a teaspoon of sugar to activate the yeast.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk and softened butter, sugar and salt. Add the dissolved and bubbly yeast and 3 cups of the flour.
- Beat on medium speed for approx. 1 minute if using a stand mixer or until the dough is smooth, using a wooden spoon or whisk if mixing by hand. Add more flour if needed, until the dough is soft and not sticky.
- Prepare a surface with flour and turn the dough out onto it. Knead by hand until smooth and elastic (approx. 5-7min).
- Place the dough ball into a greased bowl and cover with a damp tea towel or plastic wrap. Leave to rise until doubled in size in a warm place. Approx 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and return to the floured surface. Divide into 4 equal sized portions.
- Roll each portion into a 12-inch circle. Place the first circle on a greased pizza or baking tray (approx. 14 inch diameter or width).
- Spread with 1/3 of the jam to within ½ inch of the edge. Repeat, layering the dough and jam until ending with the final circle of dough placed on top.
- Place a glass or 2.5 inch round biscuit cutter in the centre of the top circle. Don’t press down, just use a marker. Now cut 16 evenly spaced lines down from the glass to the edge of the dough to make equal sized wedges.
- Remove the glass/cutter.
- Take two adjacent ends of dough and twist twice in an outward direction, left hand to left and right hand towards the right. Pinch the ends together and make a pointed tip. Repeat with all remaining strips to complete the star.
- Cover the star and let rise for a further 30min or until almost doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Bake for approx. 20 min or until golden brown. Check during the last few minutes for jam dripping. Reduce heat slightly if necessary.
- Remove from the oven and brush with the melted butter, avoiding touching the jam.
- Let cool on a wire rack. When completely cooled down, dust with icing sugar.
Tip: Use strawberry, blueberry, forest fruit jam or any nut butter, chocolate spread, etc use red or green pesto instead for savoury Make the babka in advance and freeze. Keeps in a sealed container for up to 4 days.