Valentine's 'Fish for a Healthy Heart'
Dressed to impress is this delicious Baked Mediterranean Salmon Parcel! It is the perfect recipe choice for anyone wanting to prepare an impressive and flavour-packed dish for that special loved one, but not only. Whether you are a novice int he kitchen, or experienced cook, this dish will not only impress with little effort but is also incredibly healthy for the heart. Packed with Omega 3 fatty acids, it is an absolute super-food for reducing and preventing inflammation. Just make sure you buy quality ingredients. Expect this recipe to become a stable in your repertoire!
- Baking tin
- Baking paper
- 2 salmon fillets
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes in oil (drained and oil preserved)
- 1 jar 1 small jar of artichoke hearts or 1/3 cup of sliced fennel bulb and fonds
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/3 cup red or green pesto
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and place first the twine (a horizontal and vertical length each with end overhanging generously to tie a parcel. Optional) and then place a long sheet of baking paper inside the baking dish (on top of the twine, if using). Ensure the ends are overlapping generously on each side. Each side should be long enough, to cover the salmon, once placed inside the dish.
- Place salmon fillets on top of the baking paper (leaf the sides over-hanging the outside of the dish). Mix all the dry herbs and spices together and sprinkle over the salmon.Scatter the remaining ingredients over the fillets evenly.
- Fold the sides of the baking paper over the fillets, creating a loose packet.
- Tie the twine (if using) loosely over the fish ‘parcel’.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until salmon is cooked through. Thicker cuts of fish will require 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove fish from the oven, cut the twine and un-wrap the parchment paper. Cut into individual-size portions and serve with your choice of side dishes or crysty sourdough bread
Tip: use white fish fillets, chicken, turkey or tofu instead. Vary Cooking times accordingly.